Friday, 18 October 2013

Welcome

Hi and welcome to my blog. This blog details my fishing experiences on one of the most underrated chub rivers in the country - the River Waveney in Suffolk. The Waveney should certainly be near the top of any serious chub anglers rivers to fish. The Waveney has always had a reputation as a big chub river but its hardly heard of these days often being overshadowed by its close neighbor the Wensum in Norfolk. I did manage to source a picture of a 7lb 9oz fish (see below) but that was a while quite a number of years ago but a monster 9lb fish was found alive in the eel trap at Earsham Mill in the early 1960's. I've no doubt that the Waveney does indeed hold some big chub but they appear to bottom out at around the 7lb mark.

 The picture of the biggest Waveney chub I could find......

Like many rivers around the country the Waveney has suffered from otter predation, cormorants, waste from pig farms, and crayfish outbreaks. They have all done their bit to help destroy the river. There are still plenty of big chub but its getting through the smaller ones to get to the bigger ones in the first that's the problem. Me and a few of my friends are convinced there are some real biggies in there. Not loads of them, just the odd one or two but they are certainly there.


There are certain stretches that hold a lot bigger than average fish, and those are the ones to search out. I tend not to visit the more popular stretches of river these days as I'm much more inclined to do my own thing and search out the bigger than average specimens. Really simple tactics are the name of the day. Link legers and cheese paste, bread, and meat are all that's needed for a good days fishing. My own chubbing on the Waveney is conducted from October until the end of the season as this is the time when the larger fish are easier to target. I don't fish much in the summer for a number of reasons - canoeists, bouts of severe hay fever, dog walkers, and far too many people around, make it a non starter for me. Winter is the time to be out on the bank when the banks are quiet. Some days its rare to see another angler especially at some of the places I fish. Fishing during the week provides me with the seclusion I strive for and I tend to avoid weekends where possible. Don't think for one minute that the bigger chub on the Waveney are easy to catch - they are not. It takes a lot of time, effort, patience and numerous blanks to catch the bigger specimens, and for these reasons I will not be divulging the areas I fish. Its up to each individual to put in the time and effort, and as with everything in life, the more you put in the more you will get out, and the bigger sense off achievement and satisfaction at the end of it.

The Waveney's chub are not an indigenous species but are direct descendants of fish stocked from the River Wissey in the 1950's. This stocking scheme laid out the groundwork for today's chub population where the chub continue to strive and grow in large numbers.

No comments:

Post a Comment